Wherry Mortuary originated in Pawnee City on October 14, 1892 by David E. Wherry, the grandfather of Art, John and Tom Wherry. In 1938 their father, Tom E. Wherry bought into the family business along with his brothers, Kenneth and Ronald. Ronald and Tom E. lived in Tecumseh where they built one of the first buildings designed for a funeral home. Kenneth lived in Pawnee City and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1942.
Through the years the Wherry Brothers were involved in as they called them the "Four F's": funeral directors, furniture, Ford Sales and farming. In 1951 the mortuary in Pawnee City moved to it's present location. In the early 1950's Art, John and Tom Wherry went into the funeral business following in their father's footsteps. A residence in Humboldt was refurbished for the Wherry Mortuary and Art and his wife Edie originally lived in the upstairs of the funeral home. John operated the funeral home in Pawnee City and Tom worked along side his father at the Tecumseh location. At one time Wherry's also operated funeral homes in Table Rock, Elk Creek, Steinauer and Summerfield, Kansas. Over the years all the funeral homes have worked together sharing staff, equipment and resources. Art and John Wherry are both retired from the day-to-day operations and still work occasional services. Tom Wherry serves as manager for the Wherry Mortuary in Tecumseh.
In 2002, Joe Davis, originally from Nebraska City was hired as the manager of the Pawnee City location and in 2003 Todd Dierbierger, originally from Beatrice was hired as the manager of the Humboldt location. Soon after Joe and Todd have become partners in the Wherry Mortuaries.